Easy 3-Step Mid Century Dresser Makeover

Hi everyone! I have had a BIG thing for mid century furniture lately. I love the clean lines and classic style that can really go with anything. One thing I don't like, however, is the price tag these furniture pieces come with. I have been lucky enough to find all of my mid century furniture at thrift stores for dirt cheap. The dresser I am about to talk about was $15.00 from Goodwill. It actually sat in Goodwill for a few weeks because of the rough shape it was in (or so everyone that passed it up thought). When my mom saw it sitting there for the 3rd week in a row she finally picked it up for me. I definitely "cheated" on this quick rehab. I brought this dresser back to life with 3 products, in 3 steps, in 30 minutes. Below is the (very short) step-by-step on how I did it:



Step 1:
Clean it. I use Mrs. Meyer's Everyday Cleaner from Target linked here. I actually used the mint scent but I believe that is seasonal. All of the Mrs. Meyer's cleaning products smell AMAZING.

Step 2:
Rub coconut oil all over the furniture [and I mean everywhere], especially in all the scratches and dry spots. Wood is like skin and it needs to be moisturized in order to remain looking healthy and conditioned. Many people don't realize this, and that is why this beautiful piece of furniture was passed up for so long. I used some coconut oil I already had on hand, but here is a similar product to what I used.

Step 3:
Use brown acrylic paint to fill in and "hide" any chips in the veneer. (I know this is not standard procedure for anyone wanting to restore the furniture back to its original condition, but this was my quick and easy fix to get it looking presentable again). Below you can see and example of where a chip was, and where I filled it in with acrylic paint.


After that, you're done! This is definitely a quick fix that I am sure not everyone would recommend if you are looking to fully restore the furniture... but I personally like some dings and scratches in my thrifted finds because it gives it some character. Now here is a look at some before and after shots:




















Comments

Popular Posts